Catholic Diocese Of Charlotte To Publish List Of Abusers
The Catholic Diocese of Charlotte will publish a list of clergy members who have been credibly accused of child sexual abuse, following other U.S. dioceses.
In Monday's announcement, Bishop Peter Jugis said the 46-county diocese is committed to finishing investigations into clergy abuse and publishing names of the accused by year's end.
The Charlotte Observer reports that sexual abuse survivors criticized the diocese for not taking action sooner.
The organization The Survivors Network of Those Abused by Priests in April released the names of five priests that once lived or worked in the area who it said had been accused of sexual abuse.
A spokesperson for the group praised the diocese for releasing the names but questioned the delay in any action being taken.
In his statement, Bishop Jugis said that the diocese welcomes new procedures announced recently by Pope Francis that require priests and nuns to report sexual abuse by clergy.