Look Up and Listen 2023
S'mores, stories, and stars– Thank you to all who joined us for Look Up and Listen 2023!
After dark at Hanging Rock State Park's lake, we split the beach into two areas. One for "play" where rambunctious kids and adults to make s'mores and play cornhole, in addition to our "listen" area where you can hear our specially selected story curated by our Content Director! Guests had views of Jupiter, Saturn, and the moon through the telescopes provided by the Forsyth Astronomical Society.
PLUS,we had a great time at the after-party at the Green Heron Alehouse. With each guest's entry to the event, they received a drink ticket: their first drink was on us!
WHAT: WFDD's Look Up and Listen outdoor listening party
WHEN: Saturday, October 21st, 6:30-9:30 PM
WHERE: The Lake at Hanging Rock State Park
What to bring:
- A digital or print copy of your tickets
- Blankets and/or chairs to sit on at the beach
- Comfortable walking shoes (be prepared for uneven terrain)
- Flashlights (There are no street lights at the top of the mountain, so expect it to be really dark - perfect for viewing the night sky!)
- A picnic, if you’d like (you bring supper; we’ve got dessert covered!)
- Warm and cozy clothes; it’ll likely get chilly once the sun goes down
- A sense of adventure and camaraderie!
What NOT to bring:
- Dogs (we LOVE all manner of pets, but park rules prohibit dogs on the beach, so this time, we kindly ask that you leave your fur baby at home...but tell them we say “hi!” and will miss them!)
- Drones (it is unlawful to fly drones in a state park; read more here.)
- Speakers (we'll have some music and programming on the beach. We ask you to not add any further noise so that we can clearly hear the program.)
What address should I put in my GPS?
The event will take place at Hanging Rock Park Lake, located off of the parking lot at 1790 Hanging Rock Park Road, Danbury, NC.
Is this event kid-friendly?
Yes! This is an event for the whole family. Tickets for ages 12 and under are free and we'll have activities for the whole family. We'll be listening to an episode of Snap Judgement: Spooked, so feel free to check them out if you want to know what to expect. If you feel the content isn't a good match for your family, you can still enjoy your evening at Hanging Rock on the other end of the beach or you can join us for stargazing in the parking lot!
Can children come to the Green Heron Ale House?
Yes! Although of course, only those 21 and older may drink, the Green Heron allows those underage to enter with supervision from a guardian.
What if the weather doesn't look good?
In the event that we have inclement weather, we will postpone the event until November 4th.
What if I have a question that's not answered here?
Please reach out to us at email@example.com with any additional questions. On the day of the event most of our staff will be on the mountain with spotty reception, but we'll answer you as soon as possible!