Greensboro Apartments Where Five Died Rife With Code Violations

Greensboro Apartments Where Five Died Rife With Code Violations

9:55am May 29, 2018
(Screenshot, Courtesy Fox 8)

Inspectors found hundreds of code violations at a Greensboro apartment complex where five refugee children died in a fire earlier this month.

Most of the problems were minor. But the News & Record of Greensboro reports inspectors found a handful of serious violations.

They include a leaking sewer line, malfunctioning faucets and an electrical problem that could have led to immediate condemnation of the units.

Authorities say a pot left on the stove caused the May 12 fire that killed five children ranging in age from 18 months to 9 years old. After the deaths, residents asked for the city to inspect the 42-unit property.

Inspectors found at least five violations in each of the apartments, located at 3100 Summit Avenue,  and officials say they are compiling a report to give to the property owners.

Copyright 2018 WFDD. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. AP contributed to this report.
Support your
public radio station