Greensboro Apartments Where Five Died Rife With Code Violations
Inspectors found hundreds of code violations at a Greensboro apartment complex where five refugee children died in a fire earlier this month.
Most of the problems were minor. But the News & Record of Greensboro reports inspectors found a handful of serious violations.
They include a leaking sewer line, malfunctioning faucets and an electrical problem that could have led to immediate condemnation of the units.
Authorities say a pot left on the stove caused the May 12 fire that killed five children ranging in age from 18 months to 9 years old. After the deaths, residents asked for the city to inspect the 42-unit property.
Inspectors found at least five violations in each of the apartments, located at 3100 Summit Avenue, and officials say they are compiling a report to give to the property owners.