Backlash After Civil Rights Museum Denies Trump Request

Backlash After Civil Rights Museum Denies Trump Request

11:41am Oct 07, 2016
The International Civil Rights Center & Museum in Greensboro, North Carolina. Credit: Valerie via Flickr

Greensboro’s International Civil Rights Museum is receiving backlash after it refused a request last month by the Trump campaign. The museum is standing by its decision.

The civil rights landmark denied a request from the Trump campaign asking the museum to close for five hours on September 20th. The campaign wanted to record Trump’s private tour of the facility by an outside guide.

In a statement, CEO John Swaine says the museum does not allow for, “un-vetted, unaccredited” presenters in the space. He also says it was not in a position “to serve as a backdrop to legitimize Mr. Trump’s ideological positions.”

Since news of the interaction broke last week, the museum has received continued backlash, including threats and racial slurs.

The International Civil Rights Center and Museum is housed in the F.W. Woolworth building, home to the 1960 lunch counter sit-in.

 

Support your
public radio station