New health and wellness resources are planned for neighborhoods in east Greensboro under a partnership with the city and Cone Health.

Plans include a 6,000-square-foot community wellness hub at Vance Chavis Branch Library with a clinic and digital services room, a medical fitness center at Windsor Chavis Community Center at Nocho Park and new health and wellness programming options at Warnersville Recreation Center.

The programs will address geographic disparities in the city related to chronic conditions like diabetes, heart disease and obesity. 

Deno Adkins is a senior vice president at Cone Health. He says life expectancy can vary by years according to ZIP code, and the plans are part of the organization’s effort to close the gap by five years in five years.

“Roughly 20% of a patient's outcome is driven by just the clinical care," he says. "So the other 80% is ... with what's happening in communities: the built environment, socio-economic factors. What we say is 'Let Cone be a partner in that.'”

Adkins says in that time he’s hoping to see stronger community partnerships and fewer visits to the emergency room from residents of the east Greensboro area.


300x250 Ad

300x250 Ad

Support quality journalism, like the story above, with your gift right now.