Protests erupted in Tacoma, Wash., late Sunday in response to an incident on Saturday in which a police officer used his patrol vehicle to plow through a crowd hitting several people and injuring at least two.

The incident involving the police officer was captured on cellphone video and posted on social media. Law enforcement officials said the officer, who was not named, is on paid administration leave during an investigation.

Police did say he was a 58-year-old male and has been with the force for nearly 30 years.

Tacoma Police have turned over the investigation to the Pierce County Force Investigation Team for an independent review.

Videos on social media show the police vehicle surrounded by a crowd. The vehicle slowly backs up a few feet, then lurches forward bowling over several people. At least one person is seen being run over by the right passenger side wheel of the police vehicle.

Some on the crowd scream in horror.

Those who took to the streets in the city's downtown area beginning Sunday evening local time, were carrying signs that read: "Defund TPD" the abbreviation for Tacoma Police Department, according to a report by The Seattle Times. The paper notes others were seen causing property damage such as graffiti on office buildings and breaking windows of a bail bonds office and a municipal building.

As the night progressed, demonstrators made their way to the Pierce County Jail, shouting at people inside, the paper reports, before police on bicycles eventually created a line blocking protesters, The Seattle Times adds.

Another video from the Sunday protests and posted on Twitter appears to show an American flag on fire in the middle of the street.

There were approximately 150 demonstrators, a Tacoma police spokesperson told NPR Monday. There were a number of fires set, but none caused property damage, the spokesperson added. Officials said there were no protest-related arrests overnight or reports of police injured during the unrest.

The demonstrations were sparked by an incident Saturday night after police responded to a reports of street racing near the intersection of S. 9th Street and Pacific Ave., according to KCPQ, a Fox affiliate in Seattle.

At 6:19 p.m. Saturday police began receiving calls about several vehicles and roughly 100 people blocking the intersection, according to police. When officers arrived on the scene, police officials said, they began to clear the area "for the safety of those gathered and people trying to use the street."

At one point, the unnamed officer, who was inside his service vehicle, was surrounded by a crowd, and law enforcement officials say the officer attempted to "extricate himself from an unsafe position."

"People hit the body of the police vehicle and its windows as the officer was stopped in the street," Tacoma police said a statement.

"The officer, fearing for his safety, tried to back up, but was unable to do so because of the crowd. The officer had his lights and sirens activated. While trying to extricate himself from an unsafe position, the officer drove forward striking one individual and may have impacted others."

Police said that once he was away from the crowd he called for medical aid and one person was taken to the hospital.

"I thought what we would see once police arrived was a settling or breaking up of the scene," Mark Mathura, one of the people who posted video of Saturday's incident online told Seattle-area member station KUOW.

"But what happened was the exact opposite," Mathura said.

"I am concerned that our department is experiencing another use of deadly force incident," said Interim Police Chief Mike Ake, in a statement following the incident. He vowed the police department was cooperating with the independent investigation.

Takoma Mayor Victoria Woodards issued a statement Sunday saying she was "deeply saddened" by the police officer's actions.

"As a use of deadly force, this incident is being taken very seriously and the scene has appropriately been turned over to the Pierce County Force Investigation Team for independent investigation," Woodards said. "As we learn the facts of the case, I have called on the City Manager and Police Chief to ensure that everyone involved is held accountable."

Copyright 2021 NPR. To see more, visit

300x250 Ad

300x250 Ad

Support quality journalism, like the story above, with your gift right now.