NC Government Agencies Recommend Staying Off The Roads As Snow Cleanup Continues
State transportation and emergency services have been working around the clock in response to the snowstorm that’s swept across North Carolina. Government agencies continue to recommend that motorists stay off the roads as much as possible.
In a press conference Monday morning, Governor Roy Cooper said the state of emergency for North Carolina remains in effect, with 172 National Guard members able to respond to the storm. He urged residents to continue to stay put.
“Please let Mother Nature and the Department of Transportation road crews finish clearing the roads before you venture out,” Cooper said. “Don’t risk your safety or that of emergency responders by venturing out.”
So far there have been three reported snowstorm-related deaths. The latest involved a truck driver who appeared to have experienced a heart attack while working to free his stuck rig.
State emergency operations link two other deaths to the storm. One man died Sunday when a tree fell on him in Mecklenburg County, while a woman died in Haywood County when power outages cut off her oxygen.
Temperatures are expected to drop into the 20s Tuesday morning and for the next couple of nights. Icy roads will be a concern for the next few mornings, and temperatures should return to normal on Friday.
As of 2:00 p.m. there were over 110,000 power outages across the state, including about 1,500 in Forsyth County and more than 7,600 in Guilford County.
Department of Transportation crews say that clearing interstates and primary highways will remain their top priority. All interstate routes should have at least one lane open for travel. Currently there are 2,3000 NCDOT employees utilizing 1,600 pieces of equipment, and applying 35,000 pounds of salt and sand to roadways.
Black ice is expected on Tuesday morning.