Low and Lower Live in Studio A, Winston-Salem Youth Chorus, and DaDa Poetry on Triad Arts Weekend
Get ready for some zany musical fun, a hearty tribute to Dada, and kids saying the darnedest things today on the show. Virtuoso cellist Brooks Whitehouse and virtuoso bassist Paul Sharpe let their inner theatrical selves shine right on through with Low & Lower Live in Studio A. And conductor Matthew Troy from the Winston-Salem Symphony is here to help us Discover their many talents. Then, well it’s performance art and poetry like you’ve never experienced before with Lynn Book and Amy Catanzano. They’re truly devoted to Dada, and if you don’t know what that means—stick around and get set to be the life of your next party. Then, nothing puts it all in perspective like a young person. The wonderful young singers in the Winston-Salem Youth Chorus are here to show us the importance of art in our lives. They’ll also be singing the praises of their fearless leader Ms. Barbara Beattie. 20 years of great choral directing and she’s still rockin’ it as hard as ever.
Low and Lower and Matthew Troy
Choral singing provides young people with an exciting entree into the world of music, and a lifetime of arts appreciation. Over the past 20 years, children in and around Forsyth County have thoroughly enjoyed their experiences rehearsing with and performing in the Winston-Salem Youth Chorus, under the direction of Founder, Artistic & Executive Director Barbara Beattie. On Saturday, November 2, they’ll be celebrating their big 20th anniversary concert in the Stevens Center beginning at 7:00 PM. On the program will be audience favorites plus a world premiere by renowned composer Dan Locklair set to a new poem by former NC Poet Laureate Fred Chappell. WSYC members Daniel Prescott, Paul Gunter, Josh Boose, Olivia Wright Ruth Kelley, Sam Cashwell, Carmen Hardy, and Adria Fawlkner share their thoughts.
WFU Associate Director of the Program for Innovation, Creativity and Entrepreneurship Lynn Book is a generative transmedia artist. About 99% of the time, Lynn performs her own work including collaborations. It’s a unique blend of speech, song, poetry, theatre, and multi-media work. Since the early 1980s the remaining 1% Lynn’s concertizing includes the greatest sound poem of the 20th century: Ursonate by German artist Kurt Schwitters.