10 Things to Know for Tuesday, June 3, 2014
Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about Tuesday:
1. HOW BERGDAHL WENT MISSING IN AFGHANISTAN
The Pentagon determined in 2010 that the Army sergeant had walked away from his unit, but continued to search for him in the years afterward, U.S. officials tell the AP.
2. OPPOSITION LAWMAKERS VOW TO BLOCK OBAMA'S CUTS IN POWER-PLANT POLLUTION
Scuttling the rules could be easier if Republicans take the Senate in November and then the White House in 2016.
3. ASSAD POISED FOR RE-ELECTION VICTORY, DESPITE OBJECTIONS
The Syrian opposition and its Western allies dismiss the vote as a farce, questioning the credibility of an election taking place during a raging civil war.
4. OBAMA HIGHLIGHTS DILEMMA OF MIGRANT CHILDREN
The number of children found trying to cross the Mexican border without parents has skyrocketed — and is expected to top 60,000 this year.
5. THE MAN WHO WOULD BE KING OF SPAIN
The abdication of King Juan Carlos means his son, Crown Prince Felipe, will reign. The son's 70 percent approval rating dwarfs his father's.
6. WHY A HURRICANE'S NAME MATTERS
People fear — and are more likely to flee — male-named storms than female ones, a study finds.
7. 'VERY, VERY EXCITING' PROGRESS AGAINST CANCER
Immunotherapy — which boosts the body's natural ways of attacking tumors — is seeing strong gains against cervical cancer and other forms of the disease.
8. WHO'S HEADING TO A GALAXY FAR, FAR AWAY
Oscar-winner Lupita Nyong'o is joining the cast of "Star Wars: Episode VII." When the film's principal cast was announced last month, the lack of women raised some eyebrows.
9. APPLE PREVIEWS NEW MAC, MOBILE SOFTWARE
Among other changes, Apple is expanding the iCloud for users to store and sync files of any type.
10. WHAT ODDS HORSE BREEDERS ARE BUCKING
One expert says there's just a 50,000-to-1 chance that a horse like the Triple Crown will ever emerge again from such humble bloodlines.
Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.