10 Things to Know for Thursday, March 27, 2014
Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about today...
1. THAI SATELLITE SPOTS 300 OBJECTS IN INDIAN OCEAN A Thai official says the images were taken Monday and that the objects were about 125 miles from the area where a French satellite spotted 122 objects on Sunday. MALAYSIA-PLANE-THAILAND
2. OBAMA LOOKING FOR KINDRED SPIRIT IN POPE When the president visits with Francis, he'll find a pontiff that agrees with his vision on economic equality but at odds on contraception in the U.S. health care law. OBAMA
3. FOOTBALL PLAYERS AT NORTHWESTERN CAN UNIONIZE A federal agency's decision could revolutionize college sports — raising the possibility of salaries for student-athletes, along with such things as labor strikes and lockouts. COLLEGE ATHLETES-UNION
4. WHY PEOPLE ARE MOVING WEST OF THE MISSISSIPPI America's energy boom is fueling population growth in or near the oil- and gas-rich fields of the Great Plains and Mountain West. CENSUS-ENERGY BOOM
5. LAWMAKERS RUSH TO PASS BILL TO AID UKRAINE Congress hopes to get a bill to Obama soon that would provide $1 billion in loan guarantees to Ukraine and sanction those who aided Russia's takeover of Crimea. CONGRESS-RUSSIA
6. WHAT AN INTERNAL CHRISTIE PROBE MAY REVEAL The lawyer hired by the New Jersey governor to review a traffic-blocking scandal will reportedly clear the potential 2016 presidential candidate from any wrongdoing. CHRISTIE-TRAFFIC JAMS
7. WHO GOP HOPEFULS ARE COURTING IN VEGAS Possible Republican presidential candidates are poised to showcase their electability before deep-pocketed political patron Sheldon Adelson. THE SHELDON PRIMARY
8. CHARLOTTE MAYOR CAUGHT IN STING Patrick Cannon, a Democrat on the job less than six months, allegedly accepted tens of thousands of dollars in bribes — including $20,000 in cash. CHARLOTTE MAYOR CHARGED
9. WHO AUTHORITIES ARE MONITORING TO PREDICT FAN BEHAVIOR Watch what you tweet, sports fans. Security firms are turning to social media to tap into the mindset of a crowd before big games. SOCIAL MEDIA-FAN BEHAVIOR
10. HOW GWYNETH PALTROW PUZZLED HER PUBLIC The actress' description of her split from rock star husband Chris Martin as a "conscious uncoupling" confounded many. PALTROW UNCOUPLING
Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.