10 Things to Know for Wednesday May 22, 2013
Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about today: 1. ASSESSING OKLAHOMA'S DAMAGE Rescuers are nearly finished searching for victims, but Moore residents are just starting to find out how many of their homes are destroyed.
2. STAR WITNESS IN IRS HEARINGS NOT TALKING Lois Lerner, who revealed the agency's targeting of conservative groups, has said she will invoke the Fifth Amendment when she's called to testify in Congress today.
3. IMMIGRATION CLEARS ITS FIRST HURDLE The Senate Judiciary Committee voted 13-5 to pass a key priority for Obama's second term, creating a pathway to citizenship for millions.
4. WHAT JODI ARIAS SAID FROM PRISON After begging a jury to let her live, Arias tells the AP that she didn't get a fair trial and her lawyers should have called more witnesses to support her claims that her boyfriend abused her.
5. BREAKTHROUGH IN BENGHAZI PROBE The U.S. says it has ID'd five suspects in the deadly attack in Libya, though it doesn't yet have enough evidence to try them.
6. ANTHONY WEINER LAUNCHES COMEBACK CAMPAIGN The ex-congressman whose career imploded over raunchy tweets two years ago announced in a video that he's running for New York City mayor.
7. NORTH KOREA SENDS SPECIAL ENVOY TO CHINA The trip is the highest-profile visit by a North Korean official to China this year as Beijing is showing more frustration with Pyongyang over nuclear threats.
8. SUICIDE AT NOTRE DAME CATHEDRAL A 78-year-old historian put a letter on the altar of the 850-year-old French monument, pulled out a gun and shot himself in the head.
9. WHAT THE NEW XBOX CAN DO The console seamlessly switches back and forth between watching live TV, listening to music, watching a movie and browsing the Internet.
10. WHO WON 'DANCING WITH THE STARS' Country singer Kellie Pickler edged out Disney Channel star Zendaya and football pro Jacoby Jones.