10 Things to Know for Thursday, April 17, 2014
Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about Thursday.
1. ORDERS BY SHIP'S CREW DRAW SCRUTINY As the doomed South Korean ferry listed severely, passengers say they were told to wait for rescuers, rather than try to escape.
2. WHAT'S IGNITING SUSPICIONS IN UKRAINE The sophisticated firearms and battle-readiness of many pro-Russian insurgents suggest that they might be under direct Russian command.
3. MASSIVE SECURITY PLANNED FOR BOSTON MARATHON Says the main race organizer: "I believe this will be the safest place on the planet on April 21."
4. FOR DEMOCRATS, A SHIFT IN STRATEGY The political climate for "Obamacare" suddenly looks brighter, possibly giving Democrats a chance to fight back on the GOP's top issue this fall.
5. FIRETRUCKS COLLIDE IN LA SUBURB Several people are injured in the crash involving two vehicles responding to a house fire, and one truck plows into a restaurant.
6. DIABETES-RELATED ILLS PLUMMETING IN US The sharp drop in heart attacks, strokes and other complications from the disease is mainly attributed to better screening, medicines and care.
7. FLIGHT SIMULATOR BUSINESS FIRES HIGH-PROFILE INSTRUCTOR, CITING TARDINESS, DRESS Mitchell Casado's relaxed style of jeans and plaid shirts attracted wide attention during his frequent appearances on CNN as part of its coverage of the search for missing Malaysia Flight 370.
8. WHO WON'T RULE OUT FOLLOWING IN PARENTS' FOOTSTEPS Chelsea Clinton, who has always denied any political ambitions, says she might indeed run for office someday.
9. JENNY MCCARTHY BREAKS NEWS ON 'THE VIEW' The show's co-host reveals that she's engaged to Donnie Wahlberg. It'll be the second marriage for both.
10. WHERE MLS IS ADDING A FRANCHISE Atlanta's retractable dome stadium, scheduled to open in 2017, will be home to the fast-growing soccer league's newest team.
Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.